Saturday, August 18, 2007

Beer Can Racing

Once I'd finished BKS, I wanted more experience and wanted to get out of the channel and into the bay for some "real" sailing. Also, I figured out that the more often I sailed, the better I got at it, and the more relaxed I was about the whole experience. That's when I discovered Beer Can Racing on Wednesday nights.

Someone told me that Sequoia Yacht Club and Spinnaker Sailing jointly sponsor these races every Wednesday night. I just had to call in and sign up, and they put me on a boat with an instructor. I could crew free of charge, learn more about sailing, and have some fun out on the water. Sounded good to me!

The person who told me about this race said that the yacht club ties beer cans to the docks and buoys, and we have to race around and pick them up. They said that the boat with the most beer cans at the end of the race is the winner. I believed this story. Hmm...

As you can imagine, it turns out that's not true. It's a real race, and the boat that crosses the finish line first wins. The only beer involved is in the yacht club after the race! In fact, the yacht club opens their bar and dining hall to all racers after the race, where we can trade sailing stories and revel in comraderie after the race. They even present prizes (like plastic beer steins and caps) to winners, losers, boats with the most pick-ups, and anything else that strikes them at the time. A wonderful time is had by all who attend.



I started racing every week and haven't looked back!

No comments: