Saturday, August 18, 2007

Racing(?) on a Santana 22

I've been Beer Can Racing every Wednesday night since BCC. One race night, all of the Merits were spoken for, so Dave (one of the Spinnaker instructors), my friend Sandi, and I took out a Santana 22. The winds were really light, and it was just plain silly out there. It took us forever to make the course, and we came in way behind all the other boats, even though our handicap allowed us to leave the starting line ahead of everyone else.

I was at the helm on the way back, and Dave took down the sails in the channel and wouldn't let me start the engine. He had me sail in "by pole"! Never heard of that? Neither had I! It means that we sailed in with no sails and no engine. That means we had no power! Oddly enough, I was able to take it in all the way to the dock that way... escruciatingly slow! It did make that last boring part of the trip more interesting, though. Thanks for that experience, Dave!

No comments: